Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday, October 16, 2015

The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds #1) by Alexandra Bracken

Add on Goodreads

Synopsis from Goodreads  

 When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.

4.75 Star Review


This book has a lot of hype sounding it, everyone I have see talking about it has loved it, because of this I was cautious about reading it encase I hated it . However I shouldn't have worried I loved this book, it was a great dystopian full of action and with a growing romance.
 
This book dives straight into the action, often the prologue of books are relevant later on but are confusing when you first read them, but in this book the prologue is a great introduction to the harshness of the society it also really captures the readers attention.
 
The first few chapters so much happens, I enjoyed the way in which at this stage the disease is so mysterious. I also loved the way in which the author reveals what is happening in the world only as the main charter learns things and we get to read these thought processes.
 
Understandably Ruby is very naïve about the 'outside' world however she see's quite happy to 'go it alone' which seem either very brave or just stupid. There are quite a few different groups in the 'outside' world which was a bit confusing to start with. There were so great characters in this book and so many of them had two faces which kept me on my toes.  However I liked these mystery element of the story, it kept me turning the pages so I could find out more. 
 
 
The ending of this book!!!! Without spoiler's all I can say is that I understand why she had to do what she did and it shows how brave Ruby is. We are however, left with lots of questions, and I can't wait to see how things work out after such a dramatic ending to this book.